Sunday, February 1, 2009

Poetry or Perversion

A constant and affordable (i am not sure if it as affordable these days) source of entertainment has been the world of cinema. Be it for the class or the mass, the black and white movies or those in color, talkies or the modern day technically advanced action packed extravaganza, I am talking specifically about the world of Indian cinema, especially about Tollywood that I have grown up with.

I listen to music, listen to songs from the telugu movies and at times it just makes me wonder if i am bankrupt as far as my knowledge in telugu is concerned as it feels very taxing on the gray cells to make any sense of the lyrics, added to it are the horse and unpleasant voice of the singers that are rated to be the one of the best in the industry.

I have watched a few of these movies and i can relate to the situations that these songs have been sung and had the lead stars dance around with a dozen other people and i wonder if it takes a lot of poetic insight into the language to make sense or sometimes i feel it is pure perversion where some regular words have been knit craftily to convey a raunchy and bawdy meaning.

No comments: